The Fannin County Republican Party is pleased to offer two $1,250 scholarships for the 2014-2015 academic year. Applicants must be residents of Fannin County. Deadline for applications is May 7, 2014.
The first scholarship will be awarded to an applicant who has been accepted at a college/university or technical school and has at least a 3.0 GPA. This scholarship is open to Fannin County High School, home school, MACA and GED students graduating in 2014.
The second scholarship will be awarded to a current college/university or technical school student who has completed at least two years of study, is planning to continue, and has at least a 2.5 GPA.
Criteria for applying for these scholarships include submission of the following:
- A two-page (up to 500-word) essay on “My concerns for this country and how I plan to fix it.”
- A two-page (up to 500-word) transcript of an in-person interview with an elected official (mayor, sheriff, county commissioner, representative, senator, etc).
- Cover Sheet to include name, address, phone, etc.
- Student Profile.
- Student and Community Activities.
- One letter of recommendation from a current or past instructor who is familiar with your school work and is NOT a family member.
- Short summary of academic plans, including name of college or tech school and course of study.
Selection will be made by a five-person committee who will use a point system to determine the winners. The two essays will count for a combined 75 points. Each of the 5 remaining numbered items above will count for 5 points. Names will be blocked out on all submissions.
If you have questions, please call Elaine Owen at 706-851-5726 or 706-258-3406 or Matt Rideout at 423-200-4199. Applications may be picked up at the Fannin Sentinel office at 33 State St., at schools mentioned above or your Home School Association.
All applications must be received at the Fannin Sentinel office at 29 State Street, Blue Ridge, GA 30513 by 5 p.m. May 7, 2014. Mailing address:
P.O. Box 799
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
Good luck to all applicants!